For those surviving without ovens.

As an expat from the States, it can be difficult having loved and lost your oven... but there's a plethora of recipes to meet your tastebuds' needs using stovetop, crockpot, and even microwaving methods! This blog will provide recipes spanning from sidedishes to desserts, funky to traditional, and a few things in between. Enjoy!



Monday, April 19, 2010

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup with Mushrooms

(Recipe courtesy of Whole Foods)
Serves 6
This recipe is a great way to stretch your dollar at the grocery store and satisfy a crowd at the same time. When a cold or flu hits your house, this tasty soup nurses little ones back to healthy with whole grain nutrition, too.

Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (8-ounce) package sliced mushrooms
1 cup chopped onion
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into (1-inch) cubes
3/4 cup long grain wild rice or wild rice blend
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup chopped parsley
Salt and pepper to taste


Method
Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 7 minutes. Add broth, chicken, rice, garlic and bay leaf, cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until rice and chicken are cooked through and tender, about 45 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf then stir in parsley, salt and pepper and serve.
Click here for more info!
This would be a great recipe to cook in large batches and freeze for future quick meals! :)

* Made this today and let me just say... yum! I made a few modifications due to availability of supplies and using up what I had.
->Instead of Chicken broth, I used bouillon cubes. 6 to be exact and then 5 1/4 C water.
->I used half yellow onion and half green onions. The green onions just have such a rich flavor!
-> I also added a couple tablespoons of shredded Carrot.
-> Lastly, I did not have Bay leaves on hand, so I put in about a 1/2 tsp thyme, 1/2 tsp of rosemary and 2 Tbsp dried parsley instead of fresh.
-->> OH, and I used leftover white rice from the fridge and shredded some pre-cooked chicken. I am not a fan of Chicken "cubes" in my soup... I would much rather have shredded any day!
Any who... it turned out rich and creamy! The starch from the white rice really helped to thicken it up a bit and now my kitchen smells oh so good!

No comments: