For those surviving without ovens.

As an expat from the States, it can be difficult having loved and lost your oven... but there's a plethora of recipes to meet your tastebuds' needs using stovetop, crockpot, and even microwaving methods! This blog will provide recipes spanning from sidedishes to desserts, funky to traditional, and a few things in between. Enjoy!



Friday, July 9, 2010

Pan Fried Calzones!




(Images courtesy Taylor and Lindsey Lett)
These call for the same ingredients as the pan fried pizzas. I simply piled up the "toppings" in the middle of the shaped pizza dough, and rolled and pinched the edges to keep all the goodies in! I also added a couple more teaspoons of sauce than I would usually slather on the pizzas. Then I put a nice little puddle of oil in the bottom of the pan, heated it to just below medium heat, and placed the calzone in the pan. (The crimped edge will be gooey inside if it is too thick, so try to flatten in out a bit, or lower your temp a tad and cook a little longer.)Once the first side was golden brown, I flipped and viola... Golden, crispy, gooey, tasty Calzones! A little sauce on the side for dipping, and you are golden! You can do two at a time in the pan, so dinner for two is quick and easy! (I actually think these were both easier and tastier than the pan fried pizzas... the hubby did too!)
*I also went ahead and added a few Italian spices to the stuffings to "umph" up the flavor! ;)

** If you are feeding just two... I would cut the pizza dough recipe in half....although they are easy to heat up in the pan the next day for lunch! ;)
Enjoy BIG time!
(courtesy Lindsey Lett)

1 comment:

Kristin A. said...

This is just what I was looking for. Can't wait to try.