For those surviving without ovens.

As an expat from the States, it can be difficult having loved and lost your oven... but there's a plethora of recipes to meet your tastebuds' needs using stovetop, crockpot, and even microwaving methods! This blog will provide recipes spanning from sidedishes to desserts, funky to traditional, and a few things in between. Enjoy!



Saturday, June 9, 2012

Spotlight Blog: 519 Kitchen

I am lame. Yes. Let's just get that out there. I got back to the states and just plain neglected you all. But... I am back. I have a funny story actually.
SO we moved into our new place and as we got the kitchen stocked and ready to get cooking... and baking... I realized that only two of the burners on the stove top worked (And of course they are the smallest two). Then, as I went to bake my first loaf of bread, I made the horrifying discovery that only the bottom heating element works in my oven. Let's just say, I felt a little like I was back in a Korean kitchen and for a moment was discouraged. Of course, I then came to my senses and remembered that I am in fact, the ovenless chef and have been trying my best to rock out the ghetto electric range. :) Anyways, a month ago (shame) I posted an onion soup which is tasty and all, but not really a summer dish, and I am sure the heat and humidity are working their way into your kitchen by now... so I will be working on some summer friendly posts.
Until I get those up for you, please take a moment (AKA few hours/days) to browse through this blog that I found while in Korea. Melissa over at 519 Kitchen has been using Korean grocery staples to make her own foodie treats for some time now and has stock-piled great ideas for skillet and oven users alike. She also happens to have a few homemade doggie treats if you happen to have a furry friend at home in need. So please, check her out and leave a comment for her to encourage and thank her for sharing her experiments with fellow Korean Kitchens and ovenless chefs!!

http://519kitchen.blogspot.com/

Below are just a few of her dishes... go check out the site and get inspired for your next meal!!

Tomato, Basil and Pork Pasta



Spinach Pesto Pasta with Bell Pepper Fried Eggs



Skillet Pasta with Spinach, Mushrooms and Hummus



images courtesy 519kitchen

No comments: