For those surviving without ovens.

As an expat from the States, it can be difficult having loved and lost your oven... but there's a plethora of recipes to meet your tastebuds' needs using stovetop, crockpot, and even microwaving methods! This blog will provide recipes spanning from sidedishes to desserts, funky to traditional, and a few things in between. Enjoy!



Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Spotlight Blog: Homesick Texan



I don't typically post articles. I tend to stick with recipes and the occasional list of links for various holidays, but I decided I would let you in on the sites that inspire me. I can not guarantee this will be a weekly occurance, but it will happen often and hopefully I can glean from you as well. Please feel free to send me links with your favorite food blogs or sites at lindseylett@yahoo.com and title the e-mail "Spotlight Blog." Otherwise, your message will end up in my trash. Thanks!

This Spotlight Blog is near and dear to my heart. Living in Korea, you simply won't get much "Mexican Food." I realize most food labeled as such is really Tex-Mex and not authentic, but this site does it's best to incorporate both. As a native Texan... I miss this "type" of food the most. And while I can not make all the dishes posted on Homesick Texan due to ingredient restrictions, I make the most of it with what I CAN make and use substitutions as I deem necessary. :)
Please take a few minutes to browse the "Index" of recipes on the site and see if anything peaks your interest... that is if you enjoy "Mexican Food" or "Texas Food" in general. There are several native Texan dishes to enjoy and while they may need some alterations or omissions... it is worth a try!

http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/

P.S. There is a great little Mexican Restaurant in Masan that is worth the trip. It's name is "Mexico" and is run by a Korean Husband and Mexican Wife. They are both really sweet people and can speak Spanish, English or Korean... well at the least he can. If you are interested, let me know and I can post directions! :)

~The Ovenless Chef

No comments: